the ray of light from Max's lamp impinged upon the opening
"Never! Nonsense, Ruthie; it is only six miles off; you may see it any day. It is not an hour's ride."
"Perhaps I may see it again when I am grown old; I did not think exactly what 'never' meant; it is so very long since I was there, and I don't see any chance of my going for years and years at any rate."
"Why, Ruth, you--we may go next Sunday afternoon, if you like."
She looked up at him with a lovely light of pleasure in her face at the idea. "How, sir? Can I walk it between afternoon-service and the time Mrs. Mason comes home? I would go for only one glimpse; but if I could get into the house--oh, sir! if I could just see mamma's room again!"
He was revolving plans in his head for giving her this pleasure, and he had also his own in view. If they went in any of his carriages, the loitering charm of the walk would be lost; and they must, to a certain degree, be encumbered by, and exposed to the notice of servants.
"Are you a good walker, Ruth? Do you think you can manage six miles? If we set off at two o'clock, we shall be there by four, without hurrying; or say half-past four. Then we might stay two hours, and you could show me all the old walks and old places you love, and we could still come leisurely home. Oh, it's all arranged directly!"
"But do you think it would be right, sir? It seems as if it would be such a great pleasure, that it must be in some way wrong."
"Why, you little goose, what can be wrong in it?"
- to sleep, rose and wandered out into the garden. The Hon.
- was pierced by a dazzling glare. In the bottom of the Mermaid
- It was as if they were miles above a whole town of blast
- calculated that the heat increases one degree for every
- to tell him that she loved him. A dozen times she thought
- Mark, who had run to the engine room to check the descent,
- matter. Several of the dynamos needed adjusting and for
- had gripped all of them, and not one would have voted to
- bivouacked near us. They had no shelter during the rain.
- staterooms where they went when it became known that the
- by a thick piece of plate glass, Professor Henderson could
- discover in which direction they were headed, and whether
- a quiet old man, who, in his appearance and manner of life,
- inner hulls of the lower part of the craft, and were designed
- “What will you do if the ship is pulled apart, or falls
- Down, down, down, went the Mermaid. The temperature, which
- church bell by guess. The arrival of our boats was a rare
- “I have only turned off the electrics. I want to switch
- the professor kept the Mermaid sinking. Every now and again
- point. “I’m mighty skeered shootin’ down int’ this
- man more common interests than the cultured guests of Bwana
- I will see if I can not work the negative gravity apparatus
- They were now a hundred miles under the surface. But still
- But he had too much to do to allow him to dwell on that
- rising, was gradually flooding the cave of the dragon.
- in doing anything, and they were not disturbed in their
- though I don’t rightly know whether it’s night or mornin’.
- Turn on every bit of power you can. Fill the gas holder
- nearly pure Indian inhabitants. They were much surprised
- to have decreased. On the whole, everything favors us.”
- Even old Andy, who seldom got excited, was in unusual spirits.
- shifted some handles. The gas was expelled from the holder,
- To his host he explained that he was moving his safari
- “Then I’m goin’ along!” Washington declared. “I
- have something to do to take their mind off their troubles.
- at once. It may have been the excitement over their new
- Obviously, the tide was rising; and, after seeking vainly
- a window in the bottom of the craft, which window was closed
- “I hopes so, Perfesser,” the colored man said. “I
- a last good observation before he went down into the hole.
- golden dragon. Max pulled the keys from his pocket, and
- as full as it will hold, and use extra heavy pressure.
- particular did full justice to the food Washington had
- It was about six o’clock that night that the alarm bell
- with stating that they were poor natives of the place,
- to fall too swiftly. But this was easily provided for,
- fifty-five feet you descend. We have come down several
- The Mermaid was, accordingly checked in her downward flight,
- wooden steps. He drew himself closely to these, and directed
- feet of the sea, and, through a hose that was let down,